Getting on the Vodafone network
Vodafone offers both 900 & 1800 GSM networks, as well as the 2100 3G network (which means most phones from Europe and the U.S. should work), so check that your mobile phone is compatible. When selecting Vodafone, the 'Vodafone IE' should be displayed as one of the options when you are manually selecting a network. Selecting 'Vodafone IE' will ensure you stay on Ireland's most popular mobile network.
And don't forget to ensure that you have all international calling bars lifted on your phone so that you can make and receive calls from abroad.
Costs for making calls on the Vodafone network
You need to check with your own mobile operator to find out the costs for making calls on the Vodafone Ireland network.
How to make calls
Calling another country from Ireland
- If you are making an international call to a fixed line you will need to add the prefix 00, the international country code, the local area code (remember to drop the first 0) and the number you wish to call. For example, to call a number in New York, you would dial: 00 1 212 123 4567.
- If you are making an international call to a mobile number, it's the same process except you should drop the first 0. For example, to call a mobile phone in the UK you would dial 00 44 7976 XXX XXX.
Calling a number in Ireland
- To make a call to a fixed line in Ireland, be sure to add the local area code prefix (including the o). For example, to call a Dublin number, dial 01 123 4567.
- To make a call to an Irish mobile you simply dial the mobile network code and the mobile number, e.g. to call an Vodafone customer you would dial 08X XXX XXXX. Charging will only begin when your call has been connected (this includes calls which are connected to an answering service).
- Emergency Services in Ireland are at 999 or 112.
- For Directory Enquiries contact 11850 for Ireland or 11866 for international numbers.
Topping up (for pay as you go customers)
If you are a Vodafone Prepaid customer from Austria, Germany, Greece, France, Hungary, Italy, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, or the UK, you can now top up your mobile using Vodafone Ireland vouchers available from over 7,000 retailers across Ireland.
Top Up vouchers are available for €5, €10, €15, €20, €25 and €40.
To top up while in Ireland: Ensure your mobile phone is on the Vodafone network. Your mobile should display 'Vodafone IE' on the screen.