They measure your throughput speed, rather than your maximum speed, which is usually reduced in the afternoons and evenings (between 5 and 10 pm) when congestion is heaviest.
Your speed is determined by many things:
- The speed of your phone line
- The speed of your computer
- Congestion in the telephone network
- Congestion on the Internet
- The speed of website servers
Your broadband will always try to connect at the highest possible speed available on your telephone line, which is why we refer to our broadband services as 'Up to' a certain speed.