Phishing isn't always easy to identify. Look out for things like:
- Unexpected text/email – try to think if there's a good reason for this business to be contacting you
- Too good to be true - Check if the text/email says you’ve won an amazing prize without having entered the competition
- Poor spelling – those committing scams often have weak English language skills
- The URL/web address of any links – check that it's genuine, isn't unusually long and doesn't include special characters or letters substituted by numbers
- Requests to act fast – you'll often be urged to take action immediately, otherwise your account will be suspended
You should always avoid any request that sounds vague, unlikely or too casual, for example: "our database has been corrupted, please re-send your details."